Thursday, July 5, 2012

Why do we care?

Last night, as I was putting my baby to bed, I enjoyed the company of Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant in the classic love story of Notting Hill. I have to admit that I had never seen the movie in its entirety before, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It has all the components of a great movie, comedy, drama and romance. Brilliant! In case you haven't seen the film, I'll give you a quick summary. Hugh Grant plays the owner of an unsuccessful 'travel bookstore' in London and is one day surprised to find a famous actress (played by Julia Roberts) in his store. The two find themselves in an on-again-off-again relationship, that involves a lot of drama due to her being famous and constantly trying to escape the ever watching eye of the paparazzi. Twice, they are separated because of said paparazzi, and the issues that come from the her personal life being splattered all over magazines and newspapers. It ends with my favorite scene of the movie, with the two leading a very happy life together, and the bright prospects of their future.

During several scenes of the film, I couldn't help but think "How sad is that?" in reference to her breaking up with him twice. In both of these instances, he did absolutely nothing wrong, or even questionable: it was all because of the media! This poor man's heart was ripped to shreds several times because of millions of people that had nothing to do with either of these two people's lives! Ridiculous! Now, I know that this is a movie, and that they are actors, but both actors in the film have had their dirty laundry strewn all over the place in real life. In 1995 Hugh was arrested for indecent conduct with a prostitute, and many other travesties that ended his relationship with actress Elizabeth Hurley. In '93 Julia divorced her country singer husband, Lyle Lovett, after only 21 months of marriage, and before marrying her current hubby, and starting a beautiful family, had a long line of famous lovers. Because of their fame, it's as though the average fan completely forgets that "I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her".

They aren't the only ones to have their business in every tabloid and on every television channel 24/7. Right now the hottest story (somehow more newsworthy than Hollywood legend Andy Griffith dying?) is TomKat's divorce, and today's MSN headline: Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin kissed in public. OMG, two people who are married to each other kissed each other! Alert the presses! Does anyone else think this is ridiculous? In 3 weeks, athletes from around the world will compete in the 2012 Olympics; in November the 56th presidential election will take place, and many, many more important current events that are not #1 in the news are happening, and getting nowhere near the air time that these "love stories" are. How have we become a society that cares more about who's with who, or not, than we do the events that will change all of our lives?



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really funny that you wrote about Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes this week too. It seemed that no matter where I was there was talk of their impending divorce. Sometimes it truly does seem that the media gets out of control in their reporting of such matters. I commented in my blog that I understand the curiosity factor with stories like these, but is that really this issue that we as a public need to be the most aware of at this time? There are some huge elections coming up in a few months as well as the Olympics
    (which you mentioned). I have a hard time fathoming how the end of a marriage can make headlines with so many other things happening in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely see where your questions and confusion are coming from when looking at what is "newsworthy" these days. My primary source of news is ESPN, because many media stations spend more time talking about senseless stuff than they do with what really matters. I think it's ridiculous, and just keep my attention away from the daily gossip. Like you said, TomKat's divorce is nowhere near as newsworthy as the death of Andy Griffith, or the Olympics, and definitely not as important as the upcoming election, but I feel like we just need to look through the crap fed to us my mainstream media and find what is really important when they finally shed light on it. I see it this way because it doesn't look like they'll be slowing down on the nonsense news any time soon.

    ReplyDelete